Want to play with Solano Winds?
Now is a great time to join this fabulous group of musicians! See our Band Members page for details. Contact us if you are interested.
We rehearse on Tuesday nights 7:00 PM to 9:30 PM in the Vanden High School Music Room
Welcome to the home of the Solano Winds!
We are a community concert band in the city of Fairfield in Solano County, California.
Our mission is to provide the community with high quality music through our performances, and to make music accessible to others through our various community and school outreach programs.
We are celebrating our 19th year of great performances this year! We hope you will accompany us for what promises to be yet another outstanding season of quality entertainment!
Photo - Eric Ose ¬© 2012
Copyright © 2013, Musical Images www.musicalimages.org
What are people saying about Solano Winds?
"Solano Winds is truly an ensemble effort, with a superior ability to blend sounds seamlessly. Of particular note is the percussion section and xylophone that adds great color to the reed and brass sounds."
- "The Solano Winds get better and better with each season that passes. The quality of the performances, already high, gain in precision and expressivity, while the programs become more varied and ambitious. Doherty asks much of his players, and they deliver -with panache! This promises to be a wonderful season."
- "Jack Hanes' clarion-like trumpet spoke of grit and resolve, while flautists Cathy Pierce and Lauren Nucum reminded us there was love on the plains as well. Also quite impressive was the work of young percussionist Nick Marten, who moved rapidly but calmly between the vibraphone, xylophone, bells and chimes as required."
Kathleen Whalen | Daily Republic CORRESPONDENT | October 22, 2012
bobbed and feet tapped as, anchored by Wally Hunt on drum kit, Oster
scatted over cheerful saxophones and clarinets. This was a tough act to
follow, but Lucia was up to the challenge, and full-throated trumpets,
horns and trombones underpinned her smoothly assertive "They Can't Take
That Away From Me."
Kathleen Whalen | Daily Republic CORRESPONDENT | March 25, 2012
- "The mood changed abruptly as clarinet guest soloists Diane Maltester and Robert Calonico fronted multiple-linguist and multiple-instrumentalist Leroy Anderson's "Clarinet Candy." As the title suggests, this is a fast-paced, lighthearted work. It features long passages consisting primarily of runs and trills. The playing was so well-coordinated that it sounded as though a single instrument was playing both lines simultaneously, and as if played in its entirety in a single breath."
Kathleen Whalen | Daily Republic CORRESPONDENT | Oct 25, 2011
- "The Solano Winds continue to delight audiences with concerts combining music familiar and obscure, serious and light-hearted, accessible and challenging. Longtime listeners and new fans alike look forward to next year's offerings."
Kathleen Whalen | Daily Republic CORRESPONDENT | May 20, 2011
- "All in all, another wonderful concert from one of Solano County's best!"
Kathleen Whalen | Daily Republic CORRESPONDENT | March 18, 2011
second movement of H. Owen Reed's 'La Fiesta Mexicana,' was performed
solemnity and grandeur. The trombones were the standouts here, playing with a brooding intensity
that quite literally took my breath away."
- "This sold-out concert was a wonderful way to celebrate the holiday season."
- "If Friday's concert is an indication, the Solano Winds Community Band promises its fans yet another season of wonderful music."
Kathleen Whalen | Daily Republic CORRESPONDENT | Oct. 29, 2010
- "Friday night's standing-room-only crowd at the Fairfield Center for the Creative Arts was treated to an evening of music, both familiar and little known, organized around the theme of "Space." "
- "This concert brought a highly successful season to a triumphant close. I can't wait to see -- or rather, to hear -- what they will do next season."
Kathleen Whalen | Daily Republic CORRESPONDENT | May 5, 2010
- "Flutist Cathy Pierce did the near impossible in Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov‚€™s familiar "The Flight of the Bumble-Bee," combining blinding speed with such careful articulation that each note was clearly heard."
Kathleen Whalen | Daily Republic CORRESPONDENT |
March 12, 2010
- "Ralph Vaughan Williams' "Sea Songs" opened the second half of the program. In the wrong hands this piece can be cloying, but it wasn't in the wrong hands. The flutes, clarinets and saxophones were at their melodious best, while the almost astringent tone Doherty drew from the trumpets helped make listening to this piece an unalloyed pleasure."
Kathleen Whalen | Daily Republic CORRESPONDENT | December 24, 2009
- "Morton Gould's "Cowboy Rhapsody," which included such favorites as "Home on the Range" and "Bury Me Not on the Lone Prairie," allowed Doherty to highlight several of many wonderful musicians who make up the Solano Winds. Most memorable is Cathy Pierce's limpid flute, Dan Meehan's expressive clarinet (again) and a lovely, singing tone from Heather Handa on trumpet."
Kathleen Whalen | Daily Republic CORRESPONDENT | October 28, 2009
- "This ensemble is unquestionably one of the best values for your dollar when it comes to musical performances in Solano County."
Paula McConnell | Daily Republic CORRESPONDENT | October 27, 2008
- " The Solano Winds represents community music-making at its finest. They welcome players of all skill levels. "
- " What they all have in common is a desire to share their love of music. Conductor Doherty elicits focused, disciplined playing which in no way inhibits the obvious pleasure felt by the musicians as they play."
Kathleen Whalen | Daily Republic CORRESPONDENT | December 16, 2008
Join us for any of our concerts this year, and we will give you a dynamic and energetic "pops" style concert that will leave you humming our music for days. Our selections span musical styles ranging from marches to classical, Broadway musicals to jazz.
The performance season for this year consists of four performances at the Downtown Theater in Fairfield and our encore concert at the Carmichael Community Band Festival.
Please visit our Concerts pages for more information on the programs and venues.